Saturday, June 14, 2014

Paper or Plastic?

Paper or plastic? How do you like to read your books...

I will admit I very reluctantly entered into the ebook craze. I much preferred the idea of holding a book in my hands, turning the pages, and then lining my shelves with the books so I could pull them off whenever I wanted to read something again. I was an idealist, thinking that putting the author's words on a screen would somehow ruin the experience. But then, I found the Kindle app on my phone and because I was desperate for something to read, I downloaded. And I liked it.

By no means would I call myself a full convert. I still love to hold a book and read it from cover to cover. And there are some authors that I will probably never read as an ebook, like Jane Austen. I tried, but it just didn't suit.

Here is what I discovered that I liked about reading from the plastic screen of my smartphone:
Convience. Reading material is always at my fingertips. In a matter of seconds, a new read is downloaded to my smartphone any time of day or night. And I always have my phone with me, so I can pull it out and read it anywhere, unlike my paper books that always stay on my bedside table.
No extra light needed. At night, I can read snuggled in bed without leaving a light on or using a book lamp.

Price. Ebooks are relatively the same price as paperbacks, but way less than hardcovers. And often times you can find great ebooks on promotions for free.

The downside. Besides the ebook format being incompatible for me to read any of the classics I still have one major beef with the electronic device. It runs on batteries and batteries die, usually at half past midnight when I've been up reading for hours and am only pages from the ending. My paper books have never blinked out on me!

So, those are my thoughts. I have found myself enjoying both reading experiences. Which do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment