Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Family that Publishes Together Stays Together

Yes, this is a spin-off of those old license plate frames I used to see in the church parking lot every Sunday morning growing up. The family that prays together stays together.

Over the years, I’ve seen many variations of the saying as I am sure you have too. The verb may change, but the heart of the statement stays consistent. The family that does something productive together is stronger for it.

In the next few weeks, the team here at Gray Digital Ink will be issuing its first picture book, Beautiful Me. Now, there is quite a story behind this story, but that will come in a later post. But it has certainly turned into a family project.

I wrote the words with a minor assist from the little ones when I struggled to find just the right verbiage for my new and younger audience of readers. My little girls never failed to come up with the perfect kid-word I needed.

Team Gray did the illustrations. Each of us had a hand in pulling this work of art together. And since everyone has been involved there is a buzz running through our house about its release. The patience level of the below age ten crowd is next to nothing.

The best part of working on this book for me was that my family took a genuine interest and active role in helping it come together. My original idea for writing a book about inner beauty in young girls has been brought to life in way I never imagined possible. So, whether I sell ten or ten-thousand copies of the book, it really doesn’t matter to me. The experience of creating this book with my husband and children is a far greater reward than any number of dollars I will pocket from its sales.

My family is very connected—our children are still young enough that we aren’t running on crazy teen-ager schedules yet. We still eat dinner together every night, a traditional sit at the table with no TV running in the background kind of dinner. We work in the garden together. We have movie night together. We go hiking together. We go on walks together. We read together and we bake together. There are no shortage of verbs for our family to throw into the above statement, because time spent doing something together is important to us and makes us a strong family.


How would your family complete this statement: “The family that [insert verb here] together stays together."?

No comments:

Post a Comment